Under State’s “Missing Child Law”, parents or guardians must notify the school by the morning of any school day their child is not attending. The excuse shall be submitted to the attendance office and filed as part of the scholar’s school record. An excuse for absence from school may be approved for one (1) or more of the following reasons or conditions
- Personal Illness: Doctor’s excuse required for 3 consecutive days or more, or 5 days total throughout a school year.
- Illness in the Family: Absences will be excused up to 3 days only when the scholar’s presence at home is necessary with a written request from the parent or legal guardian.
- Death of a Relative: Absences will be excused up to 3 days with a written request from the parent or legal guardian.
- Quarantine of the Home: Absences will be excused with documentation by proper health officials.
- Observance of Religious Holiday: Absences will be excused upon written request at least 3 days in advance.
- Work at Home Due to Absence of Parents or Guardians: Necessary work at home limited to emergency conditions that must be approved by administration on a case by case.
- Such Good Cause as may be acceptable by the principal: Family emergency or set of circumstances, which constitutes a good and sufficient cause in the judgment of the principal for absence from school, when evidence is presented.
- Any school approved enrichment activity
- Court Appearance
An unexcused absence does become part of a scholar’s school record. An absence will be marked as an unexcused absence in the following situations:
- Fail to bring a written note within two school days following an absence
- Leave school without signing out of school at the office area
- Absent from class without permission -including walking out of class
- Are absent from school without parental permission
- Get a pass to go to a certain place but do not report there
- Are absent for reasons not acceptable to the administration and/or
- Are absent for transportation, weather, personal issues and non-medical appointments