At Noble Academy Cleveland, we feel strongly about scholars’ promptness and being present in school every day. Excessive absenteeism in elementary school has a direct impact on reading, math, and general knowledge achievement. In addition, excessive absenteeism results in a greater likelihood of high school drop outs. Appropriate attendance is essential to the scholars receiving the quality education that they deserve. The scholars will acquire those lifetime skills through their experiences in school, which will prepare them for the work force and their goals for higher education.
With laws brought into effect by the state of Ohio (House Bill 410), we would like to bring these changes to your attention. We are now tracking absences by hours missed, not by days. Please note:
- Each day your child is absent counts as 6 hours of absence.
- If your child arrives after 8:20 am OR is picked up early, every hour of absence will be counted.
What makes a scholar excessively absent or truant?
- A scholar is considered excessively absent if they are absent with or without a legitimate excuse for 38 or more hours in one school month or 65 or more hours in a school year. Scholar may be assigned to an Absence Intervention Team.
- A scholar is considered truant if they are absent from school without a legitimate excuse for 30 or more consecutive hours, 42 or more hours in one school month, or 72 or more hours in a school year. Scholars will be assigned to an Absence Intervention Team. If scholars fail to improve their attendance after 60 days, Noble Academy must file a complaint to the Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court.
- Please click here to find the acceptable excused absences from our Scholar Handbook, and what is considered an unexcused absence.
What are the steps Noble Academy Cleveland will take in regards to tracking attendance?
- Legally a scholar is considered truant if the scholar is absent without a legitimate excuse for:
- 30 or more consecutive hours (approximately 5 school days)
- 42 or more hours in a month (approximately 7 school days)
- 72 or more hours in a school year (approximately 12 school days)
- Guardians will be notified with warnings at various milestones in their scholar’s absence.
- If the scholar has reached truancy, then the scholar and guardian will be assigned to an Absence Intervention Team (which will include Ms. Wuest, scholar’s teacher, and the dean that oversees your scholar’s grade).
- Once the guardian, scholar and Absence Intervention Team creates a plan to help improve scholar’s attendance, the scholar has 60 days to reach their goal that was set within their plan. If scholar fails to improve their attendance after 60 days, Noble Academy must file a complaint to the Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court
Both excessive absenteeism and truancy will be reported to the Ohio Dept. of Education for the school year and will be a permanent part of the student’s ODE record.
Please contact Ms. Wuest (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.